homestead - Re: [Homestead] the Olympics

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] the Olympics
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:41:31 -0800

Chicago got the nod to try to get the Olympics over SF. SF had the Olympics once before which is *supposedly* why they were turned down by the U.S. committee. I would disagree <g>

The IOC happens to like SF. Folks on the IOC had traveled to and been given the grand tour about a year ago. If the U.S. Olympic committee had actually wanted the Olympics here, then they wouldn't have played brown nose with Teflon and his strong-arm henchmen and given the nod to Chicago.

Just a thought.

Lynda
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are
to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theordore
Roosevelt, 1918.
----- Original Message ----- From: <DSanner106 AT aol.com>

I lived through it in Atlanta for the 1996 summer games, and it does mess
up a city for a long period of
time. Atlanta is fortunate that it is a spread out town with many many
alternate ways for getting around. I was born in Illinois and know Chicago
would have a much harder time accommodating the crowds and disruption. What
these planners always forget is that the millions of regular folk still have
to go to work, the city won't close for the Olympics. Streets already
crowded with commuters become immobile when you add this many visitors, all
negotiating their way between venues. Chicago should be sighing with relief
right about now.