homestead - [Homestead] Cows

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Cows
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:06:13 -0400

Hey all,
As you may know, I raised those Holstein bottle calves over the summer. They
are weaned now and 3 month old steers. Big boys. I like having cattle around
(talk to me when they get out of the fence)!

I also like raising calves. So... I'm considering getting a cow. I'd like
the milk for my cheese making, could probably trade milk with a neighbor for
vegetables, and toy with the idea of a cow share. I'd like to raise a few
calves on the cow and sell them as started calves or feeders.

I've had a lot of trouble finding a cow that I can afford and that is sound.
There are not a lot of dairy cattle around here. Most of what is are
Holstein's bred for factory dairies.

Finally, I found someone selling 3 heifers. They are Holstein Jersey cross.
Smaller like the Jersey. Problem is that she will only sell them together.
She bought them as weanlings and they became pets. She is concentrating on
sheep now and does not have room for the heifers. They are horned, not a
problem for me. She will breed them to an smaller Angus bull. They are two
years old, should have been calving now. They are not fat, are in good
shape. The catch is that I have to buy the 3. The woman has made up for that
in the price being right. Really good. She wants a good home, if I use them
as nurse cows, they will have a long, happy life.

Pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waltonrp/

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/waltonrp/>I'll have them checked by a vet. I
have pasture space and probably am good on hay this winter for them. I
planted an acre to rye grass and another to rye for grazing late this fall,
early spring.

I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what to do, just ideas. Am I missing
anything?

What do you think about a homestead cow with horns? I'm thinking resale. I
may well decide to sell one or more of the heifers as milkers if they are
good ones. If they aren't ... hamburger so no issue.

Rob - Va

  • [Homestead] Cows, Robert Walton, 10/06/2009