homestead - Re: [Homestead] 9/12 Washington crowd estimate

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 9/12 Washington crowd estimate
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:48:03 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-01-19-crowd_N.htm

crowd size estimater

Note in the C-SPAN video the south lawn on the capitol is also packed and not
used in this estimator.

Did you notice in your link the guy further down who claims he was the man in
charge of medical coordination for the event, and how they estimate crowd in
order to inject emergency personnel?  I thought that was interesting (of
course unverified), but interesting at a minimum.

Kenneth Happel, Vista, CA writes:
I was the medical coordinator for the event. I believe that there were at
least a million people there and a million and a half would be my best bet.

<blah blah blah>
.
The west lawn (all three sections were filled solid with little space between
people)the shoulders around the building and the area directly around the
reflecting pool is 240,000 by the NPS estimating method. The mall from the
reflecting pool to the cross street before the Washington Monument is 940,000
according to the NPS.

The first section of the mall nearest the Washingon Monument was reserved for
the NAACP’s Family event.  (correct, confirmed on the Black Family website).

Our folks, at the height of the event, stretched from the cross street before
the NAACP event all the way to the relfecting pool and were packed. I would
guess that its 4/5 of the 940,000 or 750,000 people together that’s a
million. Then there was the area from first street to third street (third
street goes to the train station). First street was so crowded the police had
to clear it. The crowd also filled most of the area around and between the
museums on each side, with the greatest density in the half of the mall
nearest the reflecting pool. You could easily add another half million with
these two areas.
.
That’s how I came to an estimate of one to one and a half million.
Under no possible stretch of the imagination or should I say contraction of
the imagination were there only 60,000. , <blah blah>

Still no 'official' estimate, but this is a reasonable attempt:
http://blog.heritage.org/2009/09/15/metro-delivers-hundreds-of-thousands-to-912-rally/

I didn't verify any of the metro ridership figures (too busy this morning),
but using Metro ridership and comparing to the increase in ridership over a
'normal' Saturday after Labor day,  and extrapolating from the increased
ridership/estimate of people arriving on buses, etc for the inauguration
seems reasonable. Their estimate for 9/12 is 313,000 to 433,000 attendees.

Lynn Wigglesworth

http://lists.ibiblio..org/mailman/options/homestead/cayadopi%40yahoo.com