homestead - [Homestead] End of the American experiment, was cash for clunkers anyone?

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] End of the American experiment, was cash for clunkers anyone?
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:36:41 -0500

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 10:12 AM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> It did indeed.  But no surprise since the US "economy" (nod, nudge, wink)
> is now of days entirely based on whatever money can stick to your fingers as
> it passes around in a chaos of changing hands.  We don't make or do
> anything of any significance, all our "income" is based on passing money
> back and
> forth at a furious rate.

It has been clear to me for a couple of decades now that we as a
country are doomed to eventual economic collapse if we don't actually
make anything. I'm no economic genius, and if I've figured it out what
is wrong with the freaking economists who are running what's left of
our economy.

Oh right. They have theirs, and they are deeply indebted to the money
people. I think it will take armed revolution to remove the money men.
Or maybe the collapse of the oil market. It won't be pretty, and I
surely won't survive it, but oh well.

Right now we are dumping a huge amount of money into our military.
While I support those who serve, I also am acutely aware that we
cannot continue to have a larger military budget than all the other
countries of the world combined and survive. We are now sending some
of the best of our young people out as blood soldiers to support
American based oil corporations throughout the world. It's not a new
American trend. Read a little Smedley Butler if you doubt me.

The Russians did the same thing, pouring blood and money into a war
that could not be won while ignoring the needs of their people. That
didn't turn out well, and neither will our recent wars.

I know Obama is despised by many here, but his diplomacy has been far
better than Bush's. It remains to be seen if it is not too little, too
late. Regardless, as a country we won't crumble immediately, but we
are at a point where we are stepping onto a very slippery slope.

Marie