homestead - Re: [Homestead] Firefly, was Epsilon Aurigae

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Firefly, was Epsilon Aurigae
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:01:46 -0400

I was surprised how interesting it was. If you remove the backdrop, it
could take place just after the Civil War. Even the names of the
generals at the ball sounded Southern, like something out of Gone with
the Wind.
I normally don't care for Westerns...never saw Lonesome Dove or none of
that, but this series has me thinking about parallels, wondering if we
ever truly learn anything from history.

James mentioned Tolkien's love of languages last week. There have been
a couple of scenes in the movie where phrases and terms had evolved into
new uses, which I think is really cool. The scene foremost in my mind
is when they pull a 'Crazy Ivan'. There's another scene that takes off
on the adage, 'The South will Rise Again', which also has a funny visual.

I somehow missed this series, too. I think they canceled it before the
full run of the taped episodes.

For anyone who might be interested, the series takes place in the
future, after humans have terraformed and colonized other planets and
moons. Faster than light travel doesn't exist, so there are long
journeys to get anywhere. The main character, Reynolds, is Nathan
Fillian(who is now Rick Castle on that series-adorably fun to watch) and
he is a veteran of a civil war in which he fought on the losing side.
Now, he travels and does whatever he can to make money, including
piracy, theft jobs, taking on passengers, etc. His ship, Serenity, is a
Firefly class vessel(cool special effects on that). His crew is a
motley sort, fun to watch as they break stereotypes right and left. It
has just enough swashbuckle to be compared to Star Trek and other space
based shows, but has more of contemporary or even retro feel to it. It
is just an odd combination that works. Like all Westerns, there is the
Hooker with the Heart of Gold, and while I haven't seen anything too
explicit, it is probably more suited to older kids who've taken American
History.

Bev

rayzentz AT aim.com wrote:
Hi, Bev, A friend also introduced me to that Firefly series, and the
movie that followed. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a
bit addicting, though.

Since we don't watch tv anymore, we had missed the series. It seems
that there is occasionallyu something worth watching on TV, but not
enough that we will start to watch again...

Ray

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is
protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed