homestead - Re: [Homestead] tomatoes

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:24:14 -0700 (PDT)

Petroleum Jelly..... sticky foot :-)

Do I need to wait for the tomato to be completely vine ripened if I want to
save seed?
I've been picking one day before that to beat the critters to the tomatoes.

I don't know what kind of Roma I got at Walmart........... but geez, 4
plants, and I've picked over 400 tomatoes now and there are still more, and
the darn things are flowering again.  Is that kind of quantity normal for a
Roma?

The Romas I started from seed direct in the ground are starting to produce
and are flowering... but they are no where near as loaded with tomatoes on
the plants, as least not yet.

The only thing I think that happened with the triple digit here was the
tomatoes were small and green but kind of went into hybernation almost (or
growth so slow I couldn't see it)... and then since the worst is over the
tomatoes got a little bigger and are ripening daily, every day.  Seems every
time I go out there I find more to pick.