homestead - Re: [Homestead] tomatoes

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:36:01 -0400

Bev; it's nice to find someone who likes tomatoes as much as I do! I could live on them! My large ones STILL aren't ripening, and it's frustrating me no end. I have hundreds of huge green tomatoes on the plants, but only the smaller one are ripening.

My favorite tomato is a big pink one called Rose. Most years it does well here, some years not so well. I don't know about this year yet...Rose and Mortgage Lifter (my two main crop tomatoes) aren't ripening. I had some Stupice and Coldset earlier. The Big Beef aren't very big, but are ripeining, as are Abe Lincoln and the little Sweet Millions. I planted an heirloom called Persimmon, and that hasn't even set fruit. and Delicious (which I keep trying every couple of years) is way behind, too. The plants look good, no blight (I'm one of the few people in this area with no blight), but they just aren't ripening. I've only got 5 or 6 weeks until frost. Grrr.

I love tomato sandwiches, and my mother suggested canning whole peeled tomatoes that can be sliced for sandwiches. Has anyone ever done this? Do they taste OK or do they have that 'canned tomato' taste?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA