homestead - [Homestead] Lespedeza

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Lespedeza
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 21:37:29 -0400

I seeded some annual (Korean) lespedeza in my pasture this year. My pasture
is really poor, unimproved soil. It was limed last fall.
I just broadcast the seed in April. We had good rains here until the end of
May. Then about 3 inches of rain mid June. No rain to speak of until last
week we got about an inch.

There is lespedeza all over the pasture. It really did like I'd read, didn't
do much until the long days of June. It's really taking off now. The goats
love it and supposedly it's nutritious.

This year is not a drought like last year (so far), but it's been dry. The
seed was not expensive. Supposedly, it will reseed even if grazed.
I'm definitely thinking about seeding some lespedeza in the pastures in the
fields that I'm rehabilitating. I'll be seeding one of them this fall if not
both. I can frost seed some lespedeza and clovers in next winter.

Rob - Va

  • [Homestead] Lespedeza, Robert Walton, 07/19/2009