homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jammin'

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jammin'
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 02:12:27 -0400

Lynda wrote:
Well, I have looked through every cookbook I have and I've got them
from just about every country and a couple from the 1800s. None of
them use weight instead of volume to measure to make jam.

Well, trust me, it may not be in a cookbook, but old timers in these
parts meter out sugar and berries according to weight, not volume. I
did eventually find one website that had both
http://www.pickyourown.org/blueberryjam.htm

The only reason I can come up with as to why it would be in weight might
be due to sugar shortages during the war/Depression. I guess they set
up weight ratios to make it easier..I don't know. I don't know if that
would be easier even. There must be a reason though.

Depending on the tartness of the fruit and how sweet you want your
jam, the ration is generally 1 to 1. That said, I generally make
mine 6 cups fruit to 4 cups of sugar. For most berries I add a
teaspoon of lemon juice to help keep the color nice and bright.

I ended up with closer to 7 cups of smashed thawed berries, drained, and
4.5 cups of sugar plus the pectin. I decided to use it because the
berries had been frozen and I did not want to use 7 cups of sugar. It
set up well, tastes great, and now I'm good to go on the blackberry jam
I hope to make in a few weeks.

Bring to a rolling boil and aim for 220 degrees or until the jelly
"sheets" on a spoon. I've never used the dish in the fridge method.
I keep a spoon sitting in a glass of water with a couple of ice cubes
in it. Dip one "side" of the spoon in the jelly/jam and then flip it
over and see if it "sheets" or runs off the spoon.

I can only get to about 218 here. It is not an altitude thing, it is an
old stove thing.<g> Luckily, when it really matters, I can pull out the
propane burner and tank and kick up the heat a notch. I think I paid
about $50 for that burner-it is the type you would use outdoors with a
huge pot to fry a turkey in- and we have used it a lot-for butchering,
canning, candlemaking, etc. I'm still a bit cautious of it, but I can
use it(I also have a fear of propane tanks-especially gas leaks)

Bev
--
"Never expect magic from no where" Baringo (Kenyan) working motto
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA