homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jammin'

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jammin'
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:46:57 -0400

Y'all had me thinking that I am losing my mind, so I did a bit of
research. I found quite a few references to cooking by weight instead
of by cups. At first, I was thinking it might be just a Southern thing,
but then I found this page from the UK talking about preserving raspberries.
http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/preserve-rasberries-dessert-recipe.htm
"Take the weight of your Rasberries in fine Sugar..."

Of course, the best example is probably the old fashioned pound
cake....a pound of flour, a pound of butter, a pound of eggs, a pound of
sugar.

Bev, who just finished making and canning a small batch of pear butter
from last year's frozen pears. If it doesn't set up right, I'll just
call it spiced pear sauce<g>. I love the sound of lids popping.