homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jammin'

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jammin'
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:08:17 -0800

Well, I have looked through every cookbook I have and I've got them from just about every country and a couple from the 1800s. None of them use weight instead of volume to measure to make jam.

Depending on the tartness of the fruit and how sweet you want your jam, the ration is generally 1 to 1. That said, I generally make mine 6 cups fruit to 4 cups of sugar. For most berries I add a teaspoon of lemon juice to help keep the color nice and bright.

Bring to a rolling boil and aim for 220 degrees or until the jelly "sheets" on a spoon. I've never used the dish in the fridge method. I keep a spoon sitting in a glass of water with a couple of ice cubes in it. Dip one "side" of the spoon in the jelly/jam and then flip it over and see if it "sheets" or runs off the spoon.

Then into sterile jars, clean the rims real well, apply the lids (remember that new lids do NOT need to be boiled and if you do you won't get a good seal) and stick them in a boiling water bath, or in my case, a steam canner.

Lynda
Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.