homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jammin'

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jammin'
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:10:32 -0400

Also, and I'm just guessing here, but doesn't brewing go by pounds, e.g. pounds of hops, grapes, etc. I'm guessing weight is used when you have items that might vary in size, like a pound of hops, or 5 pounds of tomatoes or 4 pounds of blackberries, etc.

EarthNSky wrote:
Y'all had me thinking that I am losing my mind, so I did a bit of
research. I found quite a few references to cooking by weight instead
of by cups. At first, I was thinking it might be just a Southern thing,
but then I found this page from the UK talking about preserving raspberries.
http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/preserve-rasberries-dessert-recipe.htm
"Take the weight of your Rasberries in fine Sugar..."

Of course, the best example is probably the old fashioned pound
cake....a pound of flour, a pound of butter, a pound of eggs, a pound of
sugar.

Bev, who just finished making and canning a small batch of pear butter
from last year's frozen pears. If it doesn't set up right, I'll just
call it spiced pear sauce<g>. I love the sound of lids popping.