homestead - Re: [Homestead] pressure canners

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pressure canners
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:19:07 -0800

It is real hard to not use the canner correctly. The three main things to remember: 1) ALWAYS vent for 10 minutes before you begin your timing; 2) ALWAYS be sure that you put in the amount of water your canner calls for; and 3) don't do a fast rise or lowering of temps.

All those tales of blowing up pressure canners are just that, tales. Now, I will admit that stupid people tricks can cause a world of hurt but it is just that, stupid human tricks. In all the years I've been doing this I've only actually seen one "blow up" and that was a cooker and what actually happened was my friend's husband, Stanley, refused to listen to directions -- "Do NOT touch the pressure cooker. When the timer goes off, turn the heat off and LEAVE IT ALONE!" Nooooooo, not Stanley. Stanley was an expert in everything. He popped the lid off immediately. Ah, not a good idea! We came home to find a hole in the ceiling sheetrock and chicken parts and broth all over the kitchen AND Stanley! One of those brilliant stupid human tricks I was talking about!

However, if you are really uncomfortable with the canner, check with your ag extension office. Almost all states and most of the counties within them offer classes.

Lynda
Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.

snip<
I have never replaced my gaskets,
so I think I will do that this year. I have a big 22Q Presto canner, an
8 Quart Presto cooker and a 4 Qt Mirro. It is funny that I have 3, when
I am so scared of using them that I do it outside on the side burner of
the grill or on the propane burner. It is a homestead fear that I have
yet to conquer. I wish someone who pressure cans/cooks all the time
would come and give me a few tips or at least watch me to see if my
habits and methods are good/safe.