homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ingenuity

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ingenuity
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:15:59 -0400

I hadn't thought of them holding eggs! I use them filled with water to take up freezer space and have ice on hand for coolers. I also use them filled with water under remay to absorb heat and give it off at night.

I cut off the top, poke holes in the bottom, and use them for planting tomatoes...I move tomatoes from cell packs to the soda bottle and gradually fill the whole bottle with soil as the plant grows...it acts as a mini topless greenhouse when they are small, and produces deep roots as they grow (and I can see through the plastic how the roots are doing). If I have trouble getting the plant out, I can just cut them.

I also use the bottoms as scoops, the tops as funnels. and all sorts of things I can't remember.

Lynn Wigglesworth