homestead - Re: [Homestead] Benne

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Benne
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:20:40 -0500

Thanks for the info Bev! I too love sesame seeds and tahini (the butter made from them) and use the oil in stir frys. I've wondered if it could be grown here.--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:
While vacationing in the SC Low Country, I chanced upon Benne crackers, AKA Sesame seed crackers. Sesame seeds, known as Benne (or Benni or Bene) in the Mendi language of Africans, were allegedly brought to the US by slaves for good luck. It is still popular in the lowcountry, and during the 1950's was grown even in Texas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesame

This wiki article is worth the read, if for no other reason than the etymology of the word sesame. I love sesame seeds and I put them in my breads and top homemade buns and such. Soon, I will make sesame brittle and those Benne crackers/wafers. Sounds good as well as nutritious.
The seeds could be pressed for oil, even. Here's the PFAF page:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Sesamum+indicum

It requires more research, but it would seem to me to be a worthwhile venture to try to grow sesame on a homestead. I don't think I could do it, but perhaps Leslie or Sage might try it.

http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=19746701540

  • [Homestead] Benne, EarthNSky, 05/18/2009
    • Re: [Homestead] Benne, Sage Austin | Eureka! Design, 05/18/2009