homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gardening strategies, was Michihili (very long)

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gardening strategies, was Michihili (very long)
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:20:52 EDT

> >Either way, the October beans are smaller or maybe the same size as
> pintos. Do you just grow large Octobers or small pintos or have I just
> got small beans?

No accounting for what appears in the stores, I guess. Beside the computer
here is the box that contains the beans saved from last year's garden for
this year's seeds. I have just put 10 October beans end to end, and then a
line of pinto breans to the same length. There are 15 pinto beans with a
little room to spare.

Most mottled colored beans turn solid colored when they cook (but not when
they dry). The very distinct patterns on appaloosa beans, calypso beans,
Jacob's cattle beans, just like Octobers and pintos, all disappear when they
are cooked.

James