homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gardening strategies, was Michihili (very long)

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gardening strategies, was Michihili (very long)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:06:08 -0400

But most everything else
is in very small beds all over the place.

James; do you bother at all with the idea of companion planting, or what plants 'get along' with each other? Most of my beds this year will chock-a-block full of different things, more or less 'companions' that get along with or aid each other. The cucumbers are in with the pole beans, with lettuce under them; I'll have a 3-sisters garden (all things I can leave until frost...Indian corn, shell beans, and winter squash) with a lot of bee-attracting herbs and flowers: dill and kale in with the potatoes; the melons are going in with the corn (last time I did it, it proved difficult to harvest the corn with vines everywhere, but sure saved space); and carrots/radish/letuce in front of the peas. The onions, leeks, and garlic are the only things in their own bed because I plant them close together...no room for anything else. My neighbor (he of the perfectly straight line, mostly bare soil garden) will be more aghast than ever at this year's garden.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA