homestead - Re: [Homestead] Book Sale

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Book Sale
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:03:54 -0500

Can't beat that! Our local library gets rid of all the "unloved" i.e. unchecked out books yearly because they are cramped for space. This means that all the truly interesting books get sold off to keep the romance and pulp fiction up-to-date LOL. In this respect I'm lucky at the sales too!

I remember Euell eats some earthworms with the boy scouts in that book (I have a copy too). I read it first in the early 70's and that kind of turned me off. Ha ha.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas
www.flowerweaver.blogspot.com

EarthNSky wrote:
My friend Ava called me this morning and invited me to go with her to
the county library's annual book sale. I love going, but I always
forget about it so I usually miss the event. This year, we were there
when the doors opened!
For $11, I got the following items:
2 music CD's-classical music by Handel and the Atlanta Symphony
Orchestra and Chorus Christmas music(it is beautiful)
3 videos-The Lion King (for Jordan), Overboard(I love that movie!) and
Dead Poets Society
I also got the following books:
_Weight Watchers 15 minute cookbook_ (for Katie)
_Plant Science: Growth Development and Utilization of Cultivated plants_
(textbook)
_The Outhouse to the Whitehouse to the Treehouse_, by Sam Isaac Edwards
_Rodale's Naturally Great Foods Cookbook_
Culinary Arts Institute _Scandinavian Cookbook_
Euell Gibbon's _Stalking the Wild Asparagus_
DeWitt and Rosland's _The Pepper Garden_
Creekmore's _Making Gifts from Oddments and Outdoor Materials_
Sorosky's _Cookery for Entertaining_
Mara Rogers _Cooking in Cast Iron: Yesterday's Flavors for Today's Kitchen_

Maybe I should have eaten breakfast! Most of the stuff is food related!

I was exceptionally happy to find Euell's book. It is from 1962 and
still has the paper jacket.
The 1977 Rodale's book seems to have simple but nutritious and classic
recipes that I can make from garden produce.
The Scandinavian cookbook has a recipe for Glogg that sounds like Ron's
grandmother's recipe that was lost.
The Cast Iron cookbook seems to have some unique recipes, too.
I'm excited, too, to read the Plant Science book. Sadly, the only
botany I had in school was during Biology 102 or something like that.
I've never had any kind of botanical or horticultural training, so I am
quite excited to be taken this via homeschool(and you thought it was
just for kids, HA!)

For $11, I think I made out like a bandit!

As a bonus, we stopped at Ava's on the way back and she gave me some
verbena(Purple, homestead type) a cutting of anise hyssop, some creek
irises, and a nearly dead Scotch Moss that needs ICU treatment. Woohoo!
Books and plants to boot!