homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gardening strategies,

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gardening strategies,
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:50:55 -0400

In the bag of cranberry/october beans I just bought are both tan and brown mottled beans and some cranberry colored, solid colored beans. There are enough cranberry colored beans in the two bags to make me think it is not an accident. It is weird.
As for the pinto beans...don't laugh...
You gotta understand that my eyesight isn't what it used to be and the jars of beans are up on the top shelf. Upon closer examination, closer being the KEY word, my pinto beans are as you describe, mottled or spotted and yes, they are more brown than the cranberry beans. DUH!
One jar was at one end and the other jar at the other end and apart it was hard to judge colors. Side by side, I can tell that the pintos are larger. My eyesight is such that I can't see the pinto spots from 2 feet away. It looks solid colored. So, now you all know that I am blonde AND blind.<g>

Bev

Lynda wrote:
Dried pinto beans shouldn't be solid colored. Cooked pinto beans should be, though. The name pinto is because they are "spotted." They should be larger than the cranberry bean. The cranberry should be more reddish and the pinto more brown and tan.

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

Yesterday while I was in town, I went by the grocery store and I saw
cranberry/October beans. I bought a couple of pounds of beans to try.
I took the opportunity to stock up on a few other beans and peas, like
black-eyed peas(on the stove cooking now) and split green peas.

The bag of beans I bought is labeled Cranberry or October beans, but
they are mottled and actually smaller than the pintos I have. I
noticed, too, at the store, their brand of pintos was a mottled bean
like the cranberry, but the pintos I have here are solid colored.
Either way, the October beans are smaller or maybe the same size as
pintos. Do you just grow large Octobers or small pintos or have I just
got small beans?

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Dry shell beans are called "soup beans" and the most common type is
what we call "October beans" but are called dove beans and cranberry
beans elsewhere. It's a very large bean that looks like a double
sized pinto but it is a bush bean and very easy to grow.

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/