homestead - [Homestead] Wort Cunning

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Wort Cunning
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:56:26 EDT

>James, I can't thank you enough for all the information you share. I
feel honored to know such an experienced gardener.

Not so experienced nor so successful. What is called for is not an
encyclopedic knowledge of gardening, which none of us posseses, least of all
me ...
but rather quiet observation.

What is called for is "wort cunning", that is, a "knowedge of plants". It
comes from watching them and being open to what they have to say.

One of my favorite moviie scenes is from Igmar Bergams's "The Seventh Seal"
where the 14th century knight (Max von Syndow) is returning to Sweden from
the crusades. He and his squire approach a hooded man leaning against a
tree and the squire dismounts to ask directions to the inn. When the man
doesn't respond, the squire shakes him and he falls over revealing that he is
cadaver long dead from the plaque.

Without a word the squire remounts and they continue on. Presently the
knight asks:
"Did he tell you where to find the inn?"
"No, my lord."
"What did he tell you?"
"Nothing, my lord."
"He was mute then?"
"Oh, no, my lord. He spoke most eloquently!"

So we may read and study the plants to no end, but what is needed is to
listen to them. To the unobservant they might appear to be silent, however,
they speak most eloquently!

James

  • [Homestead] Wort Cunning, Clansgian, 04/20/2009