homestead - Re: [Homestead] AAAARRRRGHHHGHHG!

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AAAARRRRGHHHGHHG!
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 20:24:13 -0800

Well, are weather is irradict to put it mildly! We were supposed to have clear skies until this weekend when the weather-boob is predicting snow. So we woke up this morning to rain. Not that I am complaining. send me MORE rain!

Yesterday got a call from the mother of some of youngest's friends. She wanted us to know that some moron had been doing a "controlled burn" (now there's an oxymoron if there ever was one) and it was out of control and burning on the ridge across from us.

Ah, the control burn permit say in BIG red letters that the permit is void if there are winds over 10 mph OR predicted winds. So super moron was out there in 40 mph winds and now he's surprised that he lost control of the burn.

Got another raised bed of peas and beets in. Tomatoes and pepper seeds will be going in the cold frame to start in the next couple of days. We're pulling out all the raised beds and putting down hardware cloth. We grow a couple of things here real well -- rocks and moles or gophers! We've cured the ground squirrel problem but they are a full-time job for the cats. They occationally catch one of the tunneling terrorists but can't keep up with them.

And now we have a raccoon problem. It ripped the back off the chicken coop and got our best layer and now everyone has quit laying.

The economy has hit home. Son #3 has moved back home. His girlfriend was in a car accident (she and her mother were t-boned by someone playing chicken ont he freeway) and can't work. They were doing o.k., getting by and then he was laid off. Her parents gave them a 5th wheel (completely self-contained) and so here they are.

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

(Just had to break the silence after learning that it is going down to
27(which means 24 or so for me) Sunday night and then 31 (28) on Monday
night. I am so frustrated!!!! Why can't Spring come and STAY?
And of course, it is raining AGAIN.
And there is a 50% chance of rain on both Sunday and Monday, AGAIN
My garden is flooded under an inch of water STILL because new springs
keep popping up-thank God for raised beds, but I want to plant corn and
beans! My peas are under water, and since they can't swim, I'm assuming
they have drowned...they look a bit pea-ked<g>.
The creek ran from Wednesday to Sunday, the longest time ever,
disappeared on Tuesday afternoon, started up yesterday afternoon and it
running full bore right now. I'm starting to get used to the creek running.

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/