homestead - Re: [Homestead] AAAARRRRGHHHGHHG!

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AAAARRRRGHHHGHHG!
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 20:12:07 -0400

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth
<lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>wrote:

> Spring fever hits really hard in the frozen north. We won't get to our
> 'frost-free' date until the end of May.

Today was so flippin' beautiful, it may have made up for 12 days of overcast
gray days and rain in the last two weeks. Forecast for the remainder of the
week is more overcast days and cooler, so took advantage of the nice weather
to plant snow peas and some onion bulbs in spots where garlic didn't come up
from last fall. Noticed I've got a row of spinach emerging, it was winter
bloomsdale and planted it last fall as well. Last fall's garlic & onions are
doing very well.

Turned all of the compost. I love making compost--I may struggle with
seedlings, but I make amazing compost (but don't you all?!). If I could get
paid to make compost and do it all day long, I'd be pretty darn happy.

Went to the local garden center greenhouse yesterday, I call it Floyd's
Arboretum, it's a huge place with several large greenhouses. It was just
lovely inside; there were all kinds of spring flowers (many in bloom),
perennials, vegetables, bushes, fruit trees, etc. Since I killed my own
brassicas (dang it!), I cheated and bought theirs (though a smaller amount
than I had planted).

Maybe next year will be the year I plant my own brassicas plants and they
thrive. I'll put them under a cold frame after the seedlings emerge as Rob
mentioned. Live and learn, and learn, and learn. Waiting until after Tuesday
night's frost to plant them. Hope I haven't jumped the gun too much on the
snow peas and new onions.

Have a great week, everyone.

Lisa
sw VA