homestead - Re: [Homestead] Buying a Scythe

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Buying a Scythe
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:14:30 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Rob; where will you buy the scythe? I'm also looking for one, and scythesupply.com is the only place I can find, and they only sell the straight snath.
Look at http://www.scythesupply.com/snaths.htm There they have measuring instructions, too. The one they have listed there is the one I've had. First one I got from them back when Elliot was still alive but the same guy makes them now.

Also, checked for Marugg; they also list a curved snath: http://www.themaruggcompany.com/products.htm I've always used Scythe Supply as they are closer and I can see/feel/handle/try but Marugg has been around for a long time, albeit with different owners, and as far as I know (haven't got time right now to search for more info) they are the only other eastern US suppliers of European blades.
Peter Vido sells blades in New Brunswick and is really knowledgeable (and opinionated, but mostly he's fun!); he has regular workshops at his place in summers but I've never been.

SJ