homestead - Re: [Homestead] if everyone homesteaded

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <vdjor AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] if everyone homesteaded
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:02:26 -0800

A standard city lot is all that is needed for sustanance "homesteading." I mean, sure, more would be better so that you could grow your own grains but bottomline, you could get by quite nicely on a city lot.

http://earthfirst.com/whos-who-in-green-the-dervaes-family/

That's the problem, or one of them. The sheople are all convinced that you need a gazillion acres to feed a family.

And, as anyone can tell you, if the world could survive on tomatoes, zucchini and rabbit meat, you wouldn't even need as much room as the folks down in Pasedena have <g> I mean, everyone knows that given the chance zucchini would take over the world! <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "VAN DELL JORDAN" <vdjor AT yahoo.com>

I've often wondered how things would play out if everyone wanted to live a homestead life. Agribusiness tells us that we couldn't raise enough food to feed the world without intensive commodity production, though I think we all agree that situation can not last forever.
What is a minimum acreage needed? How many people can the land support this way. If more and more people tried this lifestyle would that create a competition for available space? How would a return to agriculture as a majority occupation effect the rest of the economy?
For each of the questions I can think of a dozen possible answers...just interested in what others think.