homestead - [Homestead] if everyone homesteaded

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] if everyone homesteaded
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:49:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> I've often thought about the very low percentage of
> people who choose
> to live what we think of as a homesteading life.

I've often wondered how things would play out if everyone wanted to live a
homestead life. Agribusiness tells us that we couldn't raise enough food to
feed the world without intensive commodity production, though I think we all
agree that situation can not last forever.
What is a minimum acreage needed? How many people can the land support this
way. If more and more people tried this lifestyle would that create a
competition for available space? How would a return to agriculture as a
majority occupation effect the rest of the economy?
For each of the questions I can think of a dozen possible answers...just
interested in what others think.
Van Dell