homestead - Re: [Homestead] Read bad news, or, garden more

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Read bad news, or, garden more
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:36:11 -0400

People do not respond positively
to being told what they should do. Seems to me the best way is to show
them by how we live. This is an opportune time to show the value--it
is a teaching moment.

My garden is getting bigger everytime I hear more bad news. Not just to feed my family, but to support my family financially and feed the community. With California agriculture withering away in the drought, now is the time for local food. My goal has been to set an example of what a small, diversified, holistic farm should look like (so far I've fallen short of the example I'd like to set, but I'm still working on it). I find, though, that people look at my lifestyle and see only the hard physical work and the lack of luxuries (that I don't even want, like cell phone, 180 cable channels, SUV, etc). They think it's wonderful, but THEY don't want to do it.

I DO read/watch the news, and it confuses me. Some of it amuses me, like people discovering frugality (cheap is fashionable!). My life still hasn't changed, and isn't likely to (my ex, the source of my child support, says that stimulus money is pouring in to his industry, and they are looking to hire qualified people, so his job is safe). I'm curious about how the entire world economy can 'implode', or how countries or states can go 'bankrupt', or why a financial company is 'too big to fail'. What happens in these cases? It all confuses me, but not in a way that scares me, because I have so little invested in the world economy. These will be interesting times.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA