homestead - Re: [Homestead] Paulownia elongata

  • From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Paulownia elongata
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:21:14 -0400

Have not had time to turn the TV on for a couple of weeks. I also downgraded
to a package for $16.00 per month. It has 25 channels.

Right now I am trying to start seeds, get my 4 by 16 foot raised bed filled
with 16 barrels, which fit into it perfectly, get them level and filled and
planted! Today I want to get some alyssum started to fill in the little
pockets the round barrels leave around the bottom. Half of the dirt in the
raised bed is small hair tree roots. It is no wonder nothing would grow in
the bed. They will have to give it up as I do not think the roots will get
through the barrels any time soon!!

There are about 50 parsley sprouts up and growing and I am going to use them
for a boarder around the flower bed in the front of my house. Since my
lettuce man got frozen out when it got down to almost zero I have been
having to buy lettuce. I get the big container of earthbound mixed greens
and the containers are perfect for starting seeds. Put the lid on and they
make perfect little greenhouses. I took a sharp knife and sliced through the
bottom of the container in several spots and they drain just right. They got
set out on the front south facing steps for a couple of hours today, as I am
trying to grow them without any lights. It works pretty well except when we
have 4 days without sun! These last two days of sunshine have made them get
greener and fatter instead of getting leggy. Next week I will be getting two
fig trees. that bore fruit last year so am expecting a crop this year too.
The have been raised by an man in SC, he has been doing it for the last 20 or
more years. They are supposed to be hardy here where I live and they will be
in a protected southern exposure place. My friend in Asheville found them at
a nursery called Israel's right next to the big year round Farmers Market.
It has been great to hear what everyone is doing and planting.
Busy, busy, busy
Jeanne
tnhillwoman
North East TN zone 6