homestead - [Homestead] Paulownia elongata

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Paulownia elongata
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:44:52 -0400

Warning, this post will remind everyone of Tvo... :)

Tvo first mentioned these fast growing trees back on some thread talking about homestead trees. He also spoke of tissue culture as a propagation method.

Sometime between now and the end of April, I will be receiving 50 Paulownia tissue cultured trees, about 10" tall or so. By the end of the first year, they may be 15 feet tall or more. It should be fun to watch them grow.

We have multiple reasons for the trees:
1. I am planting them near the road as a privacy and light filtering screen. We have star parties here, so things need to be very dark. Light is bad. The large leaves will block a lot of light.
2. DH is a woodworker and these trees are excellent for furniture building.
3. They could be sold for income.
4. They can be used as firewood.
5. THEY GROW BACK STRAIGHT FROM THE STUMP IF YOU CUT THEM DOWN
6. The large leaves will compost and create lots of green manure
7. The mature trees will fit in well with my silvopasture mindset.

The first link is the company I am ordering from.

http://www.worldpaulownia.com/html/ordering.html
http://www.paulowniawood.com/characteristics.htm
http://www.paulowniawood.com/uses.htm
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/EmpressTree.htm