homestead - Re: [Homestead] Salmonella

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Salmonella
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:29:10 -0800

The studies show that less than 5% of commercial organic flocks and 6.5% of commercial free-range flocks test positive for salmonella.

Now, the bad news is that you are more likely to find SE in chickens on the East coast, where upwards of 52% of commercial flocks tested were infected and 25% of the consumer grade eggs were infected.

The really bad news, not for homesteaders but for the regular Joe out there, is that 61% of the eggs meant for processing (not what is called consumer grade) tested positive. That would be because most homesteaders don't spend a lot of time eating packaged foods or eating out. <g>

So, if you do the math, based on what we know about the differences between any type of commercial operations vs. homesteader raised foods, the risk of Lynn contacting salmonella are slim or none.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <DSanner106 AT aol.com>

I have to agree with Gene, My grandmother did this with hers when
I was growing up, but they were her chickens raised for many generations
and originated from her parents farm of years before. Not too sure
I would try that today, or at least I would get some tests for Salmonella
run on them once.