homestead - [Homestead] bean straw

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] bean straw
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:43:04 -0800 (PST)

Finally found straw locally....

Only the straw here is "bean straw", not the kind of straw I used to get in
S. Florida (which I think came from oats).   It never occurred to me that
straw could come from beans... LOL.  This area is a big producer of pinto
beans so the straw comes from pinto beans.

Is anyone here making their own straw?

I was looking for straw for the potatos.  Picking up tires today and with
luck will have the potato seeds in soon.

In trying to figure out how not to have to spend much money on growing food,
I was happy to find that I can use leftover bean stalks for straw.... :-)

Also Milo grows great here and is draught tolerant and can also be used for
straw easily.

--------

“All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way.
People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes,
and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome.
Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” ~ George
Orwell