homestead - Re: [Homestead] February gardening chores

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] February gardening chores
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:03:01 -0500

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:59 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Today was a busy day. First order of business was moving chickens.

Ours began laying eggs about a week ago. We have 6 hens and one rooster, not
7 hens as we thought on 12/31 when we got them from a neighbor off
freecycle. Not sure if we're keeping the rooster, pro's and con's either
way. Thus far he's not aggressive nor loud.

On Friday, I scored 5 dozen canning jars for $15 from Craigslist. My husband
will say "Did we really need more canning jars?" but he'll be thankful this
time next year.

The other big job that we did today was to move the compost bin. I have
> a large 4x12 compost bin made of pallets. It was in the center of the
> garden, but due to the need for additional garden space, Skyguy
> disassembled it and we reassembled it outside the garden fence. The
> purpose of the fence is to keep out deer, but last time I checked, deer
> are not that interested in compost, so outside the fence it went. Now,
> I have space for yet another bean trellis. Woohoo!

This gives me an idea to possible do a similar thing in the area outside our
fence where deer jump over. If we put another compost bin there, perhaps it
will deter them. But I wonder if they'll just discover a new spot. They'd
have to wander 20' further down past the peach tree. We've put off what to
do with our fence all winter, we're nearly out of time. YOu name it, we've
considered it. We're leaning towards fence extenders (or making it taller)
on the one row, or putting up a double fence on the section the deer jump
over.

My seed order arrived from Fedco this past Monday--was like Christmas. ;)

My husband has been gone since last Wed. a.m. and returns Monday night. Then
we tackle the serious issues--the fence and his store.

I'm starting cabbage and broccoli--today--in divided seed flats. Just
finished making lunch for our live-in individual and cleaning the kitchen,
the sun has come back out so it's time to get busy.

Lisa
sw VA