homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cage free eggs

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cage free eggs
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:01:13 -0500

> Not only is it just a misleading sales tactic, all such words are for sale
> by
> the USDA, for sale to the highest political contributor. Once the word is
> bought and paid for, you can't use it no matter what its ordinary meaning
> might
> be.

Correct and sadly, true.

I've been investigating the possibility of selling some surplus cheese
this year. A friend mailed me a 100+ page of Virginia regulations on
milk and it's products. Raw milk anything is dicey here.

Cheese from raw milk can't be labeled "fresh" in Virginia.

Soooo, I can take fresh milk and make cheese of it, I cannot however
call it fresh cheese. I can pasteurize the milk with heat and then
make the same cheese and call it fresh.

"Natural" meats are another thing I was reading about. A new word that
has been sold and customers can't be too sure what it means.

Our food system is very, very sad. Consumers are to blame also. They
seem to fall for this stuff and refuse to get up in arms about it.

Rob - Va