homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cage free eggs

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cage free eggs
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 18:33:07 -0600

Whole Foods started as a hole-in-the-wall organic grocery in Austin where I lived for two decades. I used to shop and eat lunch there regularly, and many of my neighbors worked there. The produce guys and shelf stockers are all millionaires now from the stock.

The new Austin store is 80,000 sf and has seven restaurants inside, and three levels of below ground parking with an escalator that holds your cart, too. There are more people in one aisle at any given moment than my entire county. I'm not sure where you shopped, was it this large?

Now I shop at the one in San Antonio, not as new or big, but I did notice they have all their local produce labeled as such now. Their eggs are $4.50/doz for cage free. Our birds are doing the opposite of Lynda's...they have left me in the precarious position of having sold monthly shares of eggs and not having enough to provide. I'm having to tuck some dollar bills in where eggs are missing in the customer's cartons!

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

Lynda wrote:
Well, with the goofy weather we're having this year the chickens think spring has sprung and we are drowning in eggs already! Guess I'll have to make a cheesecake tomorrow. And some meringue cookies.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida AT comcast.net>

I was just in a Whole Foods supermarket (my first visit) and they
advertised that they only sold & used "cage free eggs" ($3/doz). I'd
never heard the term used like that before as a marketing tool.
Neat store too, all that bulk cheese & chocolate <g>.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA