homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cage free eggs

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cage free eggs
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 07:41:04 -0500

> I thought that the "cage fee" was a great sales tactic.

It is. I'm always interested in how companies take an issue and turn
it into a way to make profits. I found this 2007 NYT article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/us/12eggs.html

I wonder if they will ever find a sales name for "pastured eggs" or
"farm eggs" that will catch on with people.

Every winter, I'm not ready to feed hay to my goats, so I improvise. I
take a piece of field fence and hang it from the rafters and put the
hay in that. The goats reach up to eat.

A bunch of the hens have take to laying in there. They make a new nest
every day. The pigs have taken to sleeping underneath, right off the
edge of the hay feeder. Depending on how much hay the goats eat during
the day, they sometimes get lucky and the eggs start dropping through.

Rob - Va