homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cage free eggs

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cage free eggs
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 20:36:03 -0800

We have to do a search of just about everywhere. They have a lovely little challet (yup, DH built them an A-frame challet <g>) with nesting boxes. Nooooo, they can't be bothered with laying eggs there. Since we *usually* have snow this time of year, youngest has a big bin with chicken feed in it in the "challet." They wiggle and scutch behind that to lay eggs. They crawl under and into the manzanitas. They lay in the fuzzy plants. They crawl under the cover to the hot tub. I mean, I can understand why some folks keep them locked up <g> At least then you can find the eggs.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>

My chickens have been doing the same thing as yours, Sage. I think they're laying eggs in the dog house, though, because the dogs are sometimes running around with eggs in their mouth. The dogs couldn't reach them if they were in the nests where they belong :(