homestead - Re: [Homestead] Opinions wanted-Gurney's

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Opinions wanted-Gurney's
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:51:57 -0500

> Becuase , out here within 6-8 weeks, it will start getting hot, I'm
> thinking about planting seeds for say beans and okra right in that smae bed
> , alongside the greens. Is there anything wrong with that? I'm thinking
> that by the time the beans, okra, peepers, from seed, get big enough to
> crowd the greens, the heat will be killing off the greens anyway.

I don't see why not, as long as some light can get through to the
newly sprouted seeds.

> It has rained -- for Phoenix, a good amount--, for the past two days.
> Saturrday, I bought 30 local heat resistant tomatoes, I plan to till and
> fertilize this week and plant the tomatoes within a week. I need to goive
> the manure a few days in the soil before I plant them so it won't burn the
> young plants.

I grew some variety of heat resistant hybrid tomato a couple of years
when I was in Florida, it was from Burpee. They did really good. The
tomatoes were small, but good and the plants were able to set tomatoes
when the night temp was higher than 70.

> I don't have enough usable room to plant everyhting I would like to plant.
> 'will cocentrate on tomatoes , peppers, okra and (different varieties of
> snap-beans). I will throw in a few other plants, but just don't have the
> usable garden soace for much more..............

You might think of pole beans. I think that they have better taster,
they produce over a longer period. And, anything that grows up saves
you some space. Cucumbers are another good climber.

Rob - Va