homestead - Re: [Homestead] Opinions wanted-Gurney's

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Opinions wanted-Gurney's
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 05:45:32 -0800 (PST)

That is what I did, Rob. 'made sure I went barely over $50, so that the
total cost was $25. My seed planted greens (that bed) is full of small
plants now, some withing a week or two of being harvestable, most are still
very small but healthy.

Becuase , out here within 6-8 weeks, it will start getting hot, I'm thinking
about planting seeds for say beans and okra right in that smae bed ,
alongside the greens. Is there anything wrong with that? I'm thinking that
by the time the beans, okra, peepers, from seed, get big enough to crowd the
greens, the heat will be killing off the greens anyway.

It has rained -- for Phoenix, a good amount--, for the past two days.
Saturrday, I bought 30 local heat resistant tomatoes, I plan to till and
fertilize this week and plant the tomatoes within a week. I need to goive
the manure a few days in the soil before I plant them so it won't burn the
young plants.

I don't have enough usable room to plant everyhting I would like to plant.
'will cocentrate on tomatoes , peppers, okra and (different varieties of
snap-beans). I will throw in a few other plants, but just don't have the
usable garden soace for much more..............