homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ice storms --bad weather

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ice storms --bad weather
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:42:02 -0600

We were braced for the tip of it which passed over us in the night, but fortunately did not drop freezing rain as expected. The sun is out this morning, it supposed to warm up in the 60's again. That was one gigantic storm stretching from us to the east coast. I'm sure some of you did not fare as well by the looks of it. Hope everyone is OK. Sending warmth!

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

bobf wrote:
I spoke to a business acquaintance in SE MO , monday, who said they were
preparing for a big ice storm. Yesterday, and this am, I have been reading
of bad storms throughout areas where many on the list live ; the plains, the
Ozarks; etc. And, it is supposed to be headed toward Maine, next. I hope
everyone fares well. This article is another from this am......

Excerpt:

"Tree limbs encased in ice tumbled onto roads and crashed onto power lines in
hard-hit Arkansas, Kentucky and Oklahoma, keeping thousands without power. In
Arkansas -- where ice in some places was 3 inches thick -- people huddled next to
portable heaters and wood-burning fires as utilities warned electricity may be out
for days.

''We fully expect this to be one of the largest outages we've ever had,'' said Mel
Coleman, CEO of the North Arkansas Electric Cooperative in Salem. ''Right now,
we're just hoping it's days and not weeks.'' "

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/01/28/us/AP-Winter-Storm.html