homestead - Re: [Homestead] Broccoli varieties

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Broccoli varieties
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:23:49 -0500

I am starting my seeds on Wednesday and will transplant them outdoors into my large raised beds circa March 5. With a row cover, I can do that. Fall works better for me, but usually I am busy canning in July and not planting seed, so it is hard for me to remember.

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:
In the Fedco catalog broccoli appears to be a fall vegetable. Around here,
most folk grow broccoli in the spring. Last year I grew it for the first
time. It was a miserable experience because I planted too late. Will not
repeat that mistake.
Do you all start the seeds eight weeks prior to transplanting in early
spring using the same varieties that Fedco and others sell for a fall crop?
Or do you prefer to grow broccoli for a fall crop? If you've tried both
spring and fall, which worked better for you? I understand one's gardening
zone would be taken into consideration.

I aim to do better than last year.

Thank you.

Lisa