homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hello from Montana -

  • From: OutWest4Us <outwest4us AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hello from Montana -
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 01:39:08 -0800 (PST)

Hello to Everyone Up North!  :-)

Yep, I can definently identify with everyone who lives in a cold climate,
whoa nelly!  We live in the middle of the valley floor and the wind is
vicious more times than not.....normal winter temps hover between the teens
and single digits until January when we have 2-3 "arctic" weeks when the
temps usually hit 20-30 below zero and stay there.  Trucks have to be plugged
in to be able to start the next day and thats IF they decide to cooperate.
It's a "hurry the heck up!" experience to run outside and bring in some
firewood during that time.  Winter runs 6-7 months out of the year here with
snow not uncommon in April, May and June as well.  I live near Yellowstone at
an elevation of 5,714 feet.

Bev......regarding the chicken situation, you see what the weather is like
here.  We had a 10x12 insulated coop with 2 heat lamps.  Winter was hard on
the chickens and when we lost most of them, it was during that arctic period
that I mentioned above.

Rene'