homestead - Re: [Homestead] A greens cooking question

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A greens cooking question
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:07:39 -0600

Benefit of not cooking greens to death is all the nutrients stay in the leaf as opposed to getting tossed out in the water.

For the nut sauce I've used shelled pepitas & sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews, whatever's at hand. I always dry roast them in a skillet or bake them on a cookie sheet just long enough to bring out the flavors. Once in the blender I add things like olive oil, roasted or fresh garlic, onions, chopped herbs, lemon juice or vinegar. Sometimes I puree it smooth and sometimes I leave it chunky.

For people who have not acquired the taste for greens this is the way to go. About the only green I'm not as fond of is Vates Kale, the sturdy blue green kind so often found in the grocery stores, and if subjected to it (instead of my beloved Red Russian or Italian Dinosaur kales) I make a nut sauce. This sauce also goes well over grains of any kind.

For anyone who hates Brussels Sprouts you can make this sauce with peanuts and I guarantee they will love them.

I gratefully acknowledge learning how to cook nut sauces from my volunteer days at Casa de Luz macrobiotic center in Austin, TX.

--Sage

bobf wrote:
Well, I'm not yet ready to eat beets, but, I will probably cook some gtreens
Sage's way this evening. I'll see if my wife picked up any nuts or seend at
market this week, and maybe add that too, .............

Robert A. Heinlein
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.