homestead - Re: [Homestead] Real History & Change - for me, anyway

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Real History & Change - for me, anyway
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:38:36 -0500

Actually, the first person shooters were originally designed by the military
to reduce that first moment of hesitation most soldiers had when targeting a
real person, albeit an enemy.?As I understand, fully 90% of new recruits
hesitated. Since the advent of the first person games, that has reversed. Now
only 10 % hesitate. Good for soldiers, but what does it say about our society
as a whole...?

Enlistment may be a side effect, but I think more of it stems from the fact
that these guys don't remember Viet Nam. I also think that, almost despite
ourselves, we have raised a more responsible generation than ours.

Ray