homestead - Re: [Homestead] Snow in Georgia

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Snow in Georgia
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:26:22 -0500

Frank Fries wrote:
Hi Bev,

As I understand it, it is even warmer in the southern part of
Georgia. I have a friend who moved from here to the Douglas area of
Georgia. His wife is from there originally.

Yes, there is a huge difference between north and south Georgia. What
is 300 miles south of Regina?

I remember him telling me about a time when it snowed in the northern
part of Georgia. His wife convinced him they should go up for the
weekend and see it, quick before it melted.

That is usually the way it is here. We can get a good bit of snow, but
it is usually gone in a few days. The most snow I have ever seen here
in north Georgia was 2 feet with 5-7 foot drifts. We usually get 1-4
inches at a time, two or three times a year. Every ten years or so you
get a good dumping. Our snow is very wet, not in any way the dry powder
snow you see out West. Usually it turns to ice quickly.
It almost never snows in south Georgia. If you grew up there, there is
a good chance you may have never experienced snow.

I have really become more and more interested in gardening every
year. The most gardening I do in the winter is to read through seed
catalogues and decide what to grow come spring. Then late in the
winter, I start my bedding plants indoors. It is always exciting to
see stuff growing again.

I sent my seed order off last week.

Frank

I will be planting seeds for my Spring and Summer garden on the 28th. I
will transplant to the garden beds in late March.

Bev in NW Georgia, where the temp is 21F, Humidity is 74% and the
windchill is 8. (Gusts to 35mph) Temps are dropping.

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge