homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading & Survivalists

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading & Survivalists
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:35:45 -0800

O.K., Leslie, I have to give you some bad news. You see, homegrown meat is addictive. Once your dad gets his fork into some homegrown pork chops or a Sunday dinner of a nice pork roast or a home smoked ham, well, you're in big trouble <g> There won't be any going back! So, be prepared!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

I've been trying to introduce these ideas to my dad a little at a time.... when certain conversations come up.

We had one just yesterday. He was discussing his idea was to stock up 50# of flour, which is fine - except what happens when the flour is gone?

He was talking at one point about under X circumstances that the local small grocery would be wiped out of food in a just a couple of days. I know before the bigger hurricanes, the many big groceries in Miami could get wiped out real fast. The difference is that in a bad hurricane you're preparing for a week or two - and you know that FEMA will arrive within a week with more food. That is NOT the same thing as a preparing for either a very prolonged crisis.............. and definitely nothing to do with homesteading.

I don't pretend to know much about homesteading, but I get the general concept. It's a sustainable way of life - not a temporary hobby or temporary solution to a short term crisis

But at least little by little my dad is understanding that my "plans" are two-fold - a change towards growing in a sustainable way as much as possible for survival, and ITSHTF, if I don't kill all the plants, we'll be fairly ok.

The first thing out of his mouth about ITSHTF, was we'd better buy more weapons and ammunition. As he figures in that situation hungry people will do desperate things. He made a point that the ethics of the people in the 30s were much better than today.

Bottom line - as I get him thinking more about the homesteading angle instead of survivalist angle - he is much more helpful. Dad is a real city boy - and loves all his power tools (which of course makes things easier). Actually, even though he can barely walk anymore, he's really looking forward to all of these projects. I planted the pig seeds at the dinner table today......