homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama - Energy- Prosperity

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama - Energy- Prosperity
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:27:08 -0800

I think, if I remember the numbers correctly, it is the ranch home owners that are using energy up the wazoo in Phoenix, etc. Between a/c and the pools, big drain. And, relatively speaking, Phoenix has very few high rises but useage continues to rise.

The last year I have all the stats on is 2005. If you take 1980 as a base, in CA, the total kWh per capita was 2197.52 and in AZ it was 3545.62. In 2005, the total kWh per capita in CA was 2378.75 and in AZ it was 5131.66. And if you want to compare desert state to desert state, in NM, in 1980 the per capita use was 1882.58 and 2005 it was 3060.98.

Now, before folks get their bloomers in a bunch, remember that CA has far more high rise apartments than AZ, far more people and a whole lot of desert and high desert. Plus, all of AZ is not Phoenix.

So, the point is, that just like building for earthquakes in CA, Phoenix, et. al., need to build for energy efficiency.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

It's obviously possible to live in the dessert without ac, but maybe
not so much in the typical tract ranch house. I worked with a man once
who had done extensive consulting work in Iran (this was a couple of
decades ago), and he described the old government buildings with their
thick walls and ancient system of ventilation as being nearly chilly
in the summer.

I daresay that your typical sealed window high rise would be a death
trap -- a big oven.