homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Myth of Fossil Fuels

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Myth of Fossil Fuels
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 21:41:28 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

But read the posit more closely. Oil is "associated" with sedimentary rock. Item #7 below takes care of that. There is nowhere
in the world where there is ignious rock from the surface to the drill site that has oil. In every case there is a semidmentary layer
where the oil formed and it seeped into domes and chambers below.

I was going to try to disprove your above statement about the nature of
the rocks and did a few websearches. Granted, that isn't all
inclusive or definitive, but it appears that you apparently have a point
as I could not find an example of oil in igneous or metamorphic
rock that wasn't under a sedimentary roof. Of course, that is
commercial oil production which always takes the easiest route, the
easiest oil to acquire, and secondly, even if this point is true, I'm
not clear on exactly how that would affect what I believe. More thought
needed here.
I don't feel comfortable engaging further because I haven't read the
book, and obviously I need to rethink some things I thought I knew.
Allegedly, Gold's theory is slightly different than the abiotic theory
of yesteryear, and since the guy is a respected scientist, I don't want
to corrupt any explanation he might provide for such 'anomalies' in the
traditional abiotic theory. I've been trying to defend something that
I have not read. All of this most certainly is not my forte and I
recall that you read an oil related blog, so I will temporarily defer to
you as an authority on the matter. However, I reserve the right to
resume the discussion at some point in the future after I get a copy of
that book.
I'm saving the thread<g>
You know, when I was 10, I developed a love for rocks and geology. I was
a huge fan of Cousteau and excitedly followed all the new discoveries we
were making in the ocean. When I was 16, hydrothermal vents were
discovered...so cool...That was in 1977, just after the oil crisis, and
I began to seriously dream about working as a geologist or oceanographer
for an oil company. <sigh>
Some things just don't work out like you think.

Bev

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge