homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Myth of Fossil Fuels

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Myth of Fossil Fuels
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 21:52:34 -0700

On Jan 16, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

When I was a just graduated EE, my first gig was with the Geology & Geography dept of the University of Tennessee. I jockied the homemade electron microprobe made for the express purpose of analysing the newly acquired NASA moon rock samples. I prepared the samples (got to handle moon rocks, well, pieces about the size of a pea) by cutting wafers from them and mounting them to the probe slides.

It's a small world. Brother, Gary, a machinist at Lawrence Radiation Laboratory in Berkeley, was one who made the containers in which those samples were collected and carried back from the moon. I remember being in awe of the tight tolerances he told me were allowed in the machining.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com