homestead - Re: [Homestead] canning lids

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] canning lids
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:18:45 -0800

Generally what you get is a lid that doesn't ping. You can get some blow out with lots of stuff but the lids still seal. So, listen for the ping.

Now, just to be extra careful, I don't leave the rings on. If you leave the rings on, according to Gramma (my "expert), you don't notice when a lid goes because the rings keep it on.

And, another question that always comes up, yes, I do stack jars on jars but I put either heavy duty cardboard between the stacks, stack them back in the boxes they came in or use some old sheets of formica I have.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

That pretty much sounds like what my grandmother did ! Mom said, that they even pressure canned them more than one.... and that you pretty much know right away if they aren't going to work, seals bust.

Thanks.. I just didn't want to 100% rely on mom's memory..... LOL she comeds up with some real doozies some days!