homestead - Re: [Homestead] herbal extract info needed

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] herbal extract info needed
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:51:01 -0600

Bev, I'd just try to incorporate some of the seeds into my diet if I were you. They taste like sunflower seeds, only not as rich. You could sprinkle them on granola, salads, pilaf, egg salad, mashed potatoes, etc. Then you wouldn't feel like you were taking so many meds.

If you have them growing in your pasture that's probably the most appropriate place for them. Although they are medicinal, like all thistles they are opportunistic and will spread. If I recall, a good sized flower will produce about a golf ball size worth of the seed but I never measured or weighed them. Since thistles aren't poisonous, I must admit I just use the seeds freely as a condiment on my food without measurement. When my pointer was diagnosed with liver cancer years ago and given three weeks to live, I started using them on his food (along with other things) and he lived to the old age of 16, another three years.

I have one more Friday and then a Tuesday for shots. They are now giving me just one shot of something called Imovax, (Human Diploid something or other). I was doing fine up until this past Friday. The shots no longer hurt at the time given, but later that night my entire arm hurt and this weekend I developed a swollen lymph node in that arm pit. I can't remember ever having a swollen lymph node there, so I'm going to call the doctor/health department today to see if this is normal. Seems like my body is fighting this new shot.

--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:
Thanks Sage...420mg is 3 per day...<Sigh>
There is just no escaping medicine. I guess these little capsules are
better than injections.
So you grow them and use them yourself? If one pops up in the back
pasture, I'll try to remember to save the seed and give them a dedicated
place in the garden. My newest raised bed, Bed 6, is going to be
dedicated to herbs, especially medicinal herbs.
How many 'doses' do you think are in an average seed head?

How are you feeling these days-holding up okay under the shots? Can
*you* do a push up? <eg> Sorry, couldn't resist. I know your arms are
probably killing you and I truly hope you are okay. Hopefully your arms
are better having a little break since last week. You get the next
round on Tuesday, right? Have I miscounted?

Bev

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
Milk thistle seed tastes pretty good, I just sprinkle them on food
and eat them. They are easy to grow and harvest. Michael Tierra (Way
of the Herbs author) says 420 milligrams daily, assuming powdered.
Sorry, Bev, I've not been following the threads, I am swamped with
work and seed starting.--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:

I saw milk thistle and remembered you guys saying it was good for
the liver, so I'd appreciate some dosage guidance. It says to take
1 tid with food. I'm wondering if I can get by with 1 a day. I
have stopped taking some of my meds, and I really don't want to up
the pill count if I don't have to. This is Spring Valley 175 mg
milk thistle extract silybum marianum seed standardized to contain
80% silymarin, 140mg