homestead - [Homestead] The weirdest thing

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] The weirdest thing
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:37:31 -0500

While I was out today, admiring the beauty of the creek and taking
pictures of it before it goes away, I was standing on the creekbank near
a small 'waterfall' a drop of about 18". I mention this because it may
have bearing on my mystery. While I was there, mesmerized by the
falling water, I felt and heard a rumble, a recurring thud-like sound,
that seemed to be directly underneath me. I have no clue as to what it
was, but I got the impression that perhaps there was an underground
waterfall there??? The ground sounded hollow almost, like a drum half
full of water that you could hit and hear the thud of the water and the
air, if you know what I mean? Perhaps a crystal glass with varying
amounts of water would be a better analogy. I could hear and feel both
water and air. It was really, really weird. I crossed the creek and I
could barely hear it on the other side of the creek, but I could still
make it out. Had I not been paying attention though, I might have just
passed it off as part of the myriad of sounds rushing water makes. I
could not feel it as well on this side of the creek. The only way I can
describe the feeling is that it was almost like thunder under foot,
except it was oddly rhythmic. a gushing/swooshing/thudding sound.
Has anyone ever felt anything like this next to a creek where there is
probably underground caves?

Bev in rainy NW Georgia, where the rain stopped long enough for me to
take some nice pics, and now we are under a severe thunderstorm
warning!!! It is raining so hard I can't even see the creek!

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."